Helpful Resources For Mums
If you are struggling with breastfeeding, or are planning to breastfeed and want to be well prepared for the journey, it is important that you find a lactation consultant to assist you.
There are publicly funded services in the community offering Lactation support. To access these services ask your Lead Maternity Carer or Well Child provider, or contact your local maternity hospital or birthing unit.
Alternatively, have a look at this Directory which lists Lactation Consultants in NZ in private practice who are members of NZLCA to find a consultant in your area.
La Leche League:
Mother to Mother breastfeeding support in New Zealand
Questions or worries about breastfeeding? The accredited La Leche League Leaders are experienced mothers who have been trained to provide information and support for breastfeeding. They can help over the phone, at their informal meetings, or you can ask questions via email or on social media. All of this is free and confidential.
Challenges Building Your Whanau:
Fertility New Zealand:
Fertility New Zealand is committed to supporting, advocating for and educating all people who face infertility challenges at all stages of their journey and beyond.
Fertility NZ provides assistance for people with fertility issues through the following channels:
• Support A network of regular support gatherings, workshops and contact groups throughout the country; an 0800 line and email address for enquiries, and infertility forums on their website where Members can provide support to one another.
• Information Fertility NZ’s website is the focal point of information; informative fact sheet brochures are available for Members and through Clinics; a series of information videos; regular publication of The Dandelion Newsletter and email updates to Members; conferences and information events. They also host an annual campaign to raise awareness of infertility and fertility-related issues.
Tel: 0800 333 306
Nemours Children’s Health is committed to transforming the health of children by going beyond medicine to improve the health of the world in which every child lives. They founded KidsHealth.org in 1995.
What They Do
They aim to give families the tools and confidence to make the best health choices.
Here's what you'll find on Nemours KidsHealth.org:
- Doctor-reviewed advice on hundreds of physical, emotional, and behavioral topics — from before birth through the teen years.
- Separate sections for parents, kids, and teens, each created with your questions in mind.
- Easy-to-follow articles, slideshows, videos, and health tools designed to help families learn, grow, and be their best.
- Free Lesson Plans and programs for teachers and early childhood educators.
They partner with MANY other groups that share their mission to help kids grow up healthy.
We all know how important it is to teach children the importance of dental hygiene at a young age, but did you know decisions made during pregnancy can greatly impact a child's future dental health?
Byte recently published an educational guide on dental hygiene from pregnancy to young adulthood that shares invaluable info for parents!
Helpful guides they have made available:
Baby/Child First Aid:
Little Beat First Aid:
(First Aid Education for Parents)
Little Beat First Aid provides infant and child first aid education sessions specifically curated to meet the needs of new or expecting parents.
Sessions are facilitated by Shrenika, an ex-paediatric nurse and mum of two. This means you will get evidence based information as well as being practical from a parents perspective!
Short, two hour sessions, either in your home, online or public groups, covering just the basics to make you feel more confident in an emergency situation.